Sunday, February 12, 2012

Module 5: Static vs. Dynamic Technologies Part II

I as reflect on my philosophy of distance education, I believe I am fall in the middle of the “static-dynamic continuum” because I am gaining a better understanding of how technology is being used in the distance learning process. Being knowledgeable of which technology devices/software products are available to use as resources will assist me in becoming more aware of how to implement the devices into my learning environment. In this course, I learned how to create and maintain a blog website which allowed me to share my ideas, projects, and assignments and collaborate with other classmates in an arena which was new to me. I must admit I was very skeptical at first, but once I realized my blog was an avenue for me to demonstrate my understanding of concepts from the course, I was able to conquer my fear of being prejudged by others. Using tools such as blogs, discussion boards, email, and You Tube, I was able to step outside of my comfort zone and learn how these tools could be used in my distance learning experience. Static technology is used often in traditional classroom settings where teacher-led instruction occurs. Teachers usually use web pages, emails, You Tube, eBooks, videocasts, and podcasts to deliver informational text to their students. Although majority of students are accustom to this type of learning, it does not address all learning styles. Students do not have an opportunity to effectively collaborate with their peers, and/or demonstrate their understanding of the content due to the limited resources. Dynamic technology will assist teachers in providing opportunities for their students to analyze, synthesize, and respond to one another and well as their teachers in order to demonstrate their understanding of new concepts. Technology tools such as blogs, discussion boards/black boards, instant messenger, Skype, MMORPGs, etc. will address all learning styles as well as allow students an opportunity to discuss and demonstrate what they have gained from a specific lesson. Students will be able to debate their views/opinions, find outcomes on their own, and also take ownership of their learning. As an educator and a learner in a distance learning environment, I look forward to using some of the dynamic technology devices in the near future. As I continue of my journey through this program, I will continue to research and become more familiar with various technology devices to better myself as a learner and my students within my classroom. I look forward to this challenge, and I the positive outcomes. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. shannon- I feel your need to learn more and feel comfortable with all the new technology available. This class to has introduced me to blogging and for the first time I published my video on you tube-never published before. I do wish you luck as we push on to new areas in technology. Nice post and explaining how you feel and the need to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thank for for the words of encouragement. After completing my Final Project, I have gain confidence in my technical skills, smile. I struggles at first, but I feel better and now I am interested in publishing my work. I have come a long way, and have a ways to go within my technology career. I am glad to hear that you have published your video. Go job. Best of luck to you as well. Shannon~

      Delete
    2. Shannon- I agree with you that this prooject was definately a learning experience and we all have grown in confidence due to this. I wish you the best of luck in your technology career.

      Delete